Monday, January 18, 2010

Things Are Moving Along

I’ve had such a pain in my neck that I can barely turn my head to the left. I must of slept wrong…what ever that means.
Anyway construction must continue pain or no pain the neck (no pun intended). Over the weekend, we put up the side planks. Major milestone for the big Tuna! Here are some pictures.


Starboard plank (Rear 8 feet). Installed. Since I did not have the man power to attach a full sheet, then mark, unclamp, and cut on the marks, I opted for the rip cut of a 19/32" 4x8 sheet ripped to 28." In doing so, it made the piece more manageable to put in place. Once it was clamped on, I pre drilled and screw the sheet in place. Bending it was a bear! Luckily I had First Mate Luis assisting on the construction.
 



We used jack to get the front piece in place. First Mate Luis "jacked it up" while I steadied the plank. Then we rolled it in place making sure it was butted nice and tight to the rear plank. The goal was to see the “ooze” (polyurethane glue) squeeze out of the seam.
 
 

Starboard Plank (Forward 8 feet long). Clamped in place and ready to fasten with screws. We always made sure we saw the ooze sqeeze out when we clamped the planks in place.
 
Both sides were completed. By the end of the day, our arms felt like jelly.

No comments:

Post a Comment